Friday, April 10, 2009

oak or bamboo?

"When the snow falls on the oak, the branch breaks, but when the snow falls on the bamboo, it is resilient, shaking off the snow and still standing tall."


My papa often uses this analogy when we are stubborn or inflexible, and it comes to my mind often when I think of how fast life changes.

It's true, I have decided to go to Ohio State in the fall. It is also true that, although I would like to get a PhD. and become a professor, my ultimate desire is to follow the path that my Heavenly Father has laid out for me. I know that this path is the one that will bring me the most peace and happiness.

So, if it happens that I am led by God to do something besides going to OSU, you'd better believe I'm going to do it, even though it may not make sense at the time. God is all-knowing, which means he knows my heart, my mind, and what is best for me.


I think that this is what my papa means by being "bamboo"; being willing to let Christ lead your life, whether it be in big decisions (OSU, or whatever else happens, for example) or small decisions (being angry because someone in your family ate your leftovers). This means not being stubborn like an oak tree, because either way, the snow will fall, but only with the grace of Christ will you be able to stand.

2 comments:

kelzone said...

what the devil? is there something you need to tell me?

Debbie said...

Oh my goodness! I did not know that you had decided!!! That is wonderful! What happened to the Purdue plan?? I miss you Kate. Its too bad Vance did not go to Ohio State, then we would be going to grad school together! Well, if you drive out there, make sure to stop by in Denver and say hello!